3.21.2012

Amazing Chocolate Layer Cake (Gluten Free or Regular)


Recently I saw an article in my local newspaper with a recipe for a 12-Layer Chocolate Cake. This has always been one of my very favorite cakes for my birthday, Thanksgiving, or any special occasion or holiday. Most of my children also love it. However, since going gluten free I have not been able to have this fantastic treat.

I don't typically get in the kitchen and create wonderful gluten free things because I am the only one in my family that has to eat gluten free, and I don't usually want to "make" them eat gluten free. Often my solution is to keep pre-made, store bought gluten free desserts in my freezer in individual servings so when we have a special dessert I can just pull it out and have something. Somehow it's never as satisfying as the wonderful creation that everyone else is having. So I decided to change that.

When I saw this, I got in the kitchen and made this fabulous cake, gluten free. The only change I made was using Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (definitely one of my favorite gluten free flours!) in place of the flour called for in the recipe. I used a cup measure to scoop the batter into my pans, but there was only enough for 10 layers instead of the 12 that the recipe calls for--but I didn't miss the other two!

As the article states, this was time consuming because of baking the layers at separate times, but it wasn't hard. It was fun! And the results were DEFINITELY worth it.So, gluten free friends--go for it! Why not? Or pass this recipe on to your friends or family. Who knows--maybe you'll get lucky and get surprised on your birthday!And for all you regular gluten eaters out there, don't be afraid--bake this cake! Use any flour you like, but I always prefer White Lily.

Let me know if you make it. I bet you all have someone in your family that would be thrilled to have this as their birthday cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment