2.14.2010

Simple Sunday Supper


Sundays are lazy days at my house. After church and lunch, the goal is to get comfy on a chair or sofa and fall asleep while watching tv. After a good nap, we sometimes try to get something accomplished so the entire day doesn't feel wasted, but it is definitely a day of rest for us.

Therefore, when it is time to come up with something for supper, I usually look for quick and easy. I never have anything planned, it's just whatever is in the fridge or pantry. Often we will have breakfast for supper. But tonight I wanted something different. I had some leftover homemade marinara sauce (I'll tell you about that another day), but we weren't in the mood for pasta. So, I pulled some cans out of the pantry and put together black beans and rice. Delicious! So easy, yet healthy and filling.

Black Beans and Rice

1 medium onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced (fresh, please!)
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cans black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can original Ro-Tel
salt and pepper to taste
4-6 servings of rice, cooked

Saute onions in olive oil 2-3 minutes on medium low heat; add garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Add the beans, tomatoes, Ro-Tel and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Serve over hot rice.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment